Monday, August 21, 2023

From Juliana to Chuck (Tomie)


 I am writing this on July 21 - Chuck just sent this to me in an email - and it's so cool, I'm using my noon infusion of coffee to work on the blog instead of all the chores I was supposed to do. Obviously, we are not happy with the angry USPS slash. Sadly, there is no way to educate all the postal clerks and carriers about the whole point of mail art. I just love the story of Strega Nona - and I have no idea if that is the correct spelling. Technically - I do not remember much of the story - except the part where things get out of hand (maybe it was a magic pot) and there is a tsunami of spaghetti in a village in Italy. 

So - that's stylized spaghetti at the bottom - which goes beautifully with the wavy lines that the post office added. The tile roof is so pretty. I am so tempted to start working on the ideas that this has inspired - but, I think I should use up some of my problem stamps and save my Tomie DePaola stamps as a reward.

The envelope is from Juliana - and this was her first exchange. I hope she continues. And the photo below is from Chuck. The caption says it is a motorcycle from 1912 - in Washington DC.



2 comments:

  1. Love this! Strega Nonna was one of our favorite stories, too. I need to get some of the Tomie dePaola stamps

    ReplyDelete