Tuesday, August 15, 2023

From Cathy to Alex - computer art


 Alex loved this one and Nanna has made a note to appropriate the tree. I think Cathy drew the tree and then colored it in. She might have used colored pencils. I'm going to try to do it with gouache or watercolor and do the color first and then outline it. I did manage to pull out some gouache and have done about 6 envelopes with gouache that will be coming up.

Remember back on July 22 when I was talking about getting a PhD in art and wrote this:
...there is one in Texas that dovetails art with technology - so that doesn't count (in my world.

I wanted to clarify that I do not have anything against using technology to create art. I imagine people who create art using technology are having the same experience as those using traditional materials. If someone sat me down in front of a very fancy system for creating art using technology - my work would be wretched - and would only improve if I worked at it. That's the way art works. You need to put in the hours.

Personally, I think computer art is a niche - and it's not like the artist is going to have much skill if the power goes out and they do not have a back up generator. Obviously there are a ton of people who have honed their skills the old fashioned way and the computer is just another tool. Those people will be fine.

My hesitation about someone being exclusively a computer-artist is if there are little kids who start drawing on their iPads when they are toddlers and never have a chance to do things in other mediums - they might be missing out on some aspect of the activity. Maybe that will never happen. But, I just wanted to clarify my remark. A PhD in computer art is a computer degree with a focus on art - rather than an art degree with a focus on the computer - and that's just my opinion. Feel free to respond.

Not that any of this matters -- the *doing* of the art is the more essential component. More on this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment