Friday, January 13, 2023

Oct 2022 from Diana - Tip 3 - don't touch it

 


I really like this arrangement of rubber stamping and stickers. It's very cute - and I like cute. The careful coloring in so that there is a little pop of red adds a lot. The candy corn and stars are whimsical. It is also a fairly small envelope and there is just something very sweet about the tiny envelopes.

And Chuck sent me a photo of the one he received. Thank you Chuck. 



***

OK - here is a tip that was new to me - but so helpful. It came from an episode of Hoarders. I had not seen that program in quite some time - but the studio-fairy conked me on the head one evening when I was too tired to do anything and needed something to keep me awake so I didn't fall asleep too early. If you ever feel hopeless - just tune in to Hoarders - and I'm pretty sure you'll feel like you can pull yourself together.

Tip 3. 

This new tip helped me understand why I have trouble pitching things that are really not important - but can't quite *let go.* Here is what's going on: when you actually touch something, it makes it harder to let go of it.

The woman on the episode of Hoarders where I learned this was very different from the usual people who are living in complete and utter squalor. This woman had everything in a nicely labeled plastic bins. Her house was tidy - but it was so full of organized boxes that there was no room left to actually do anything. 

The person helping her pointed out that it would be easier for her to say goodby to her stuff if she just sat in a chair and helpers held the things up in front of her and asked her if she was OK with donating the stuff. She had been a school teacher and most of her stuff could be donated to people who could use it. There is something that happens when people touch their things that make is more difficult to let them go.

So - I do not need to get someone to come over and do this with me. It was just super helpful to realize that I needed to ignore the emotional tugging as I pitched the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment