Sunday, March 20, 2022

Troy's Feb envelope (Sheila Waters)


 Troy did something similar to this. It intrigues me and I keep wondering how it works for names with descenders. It seems like my name is really perfect for the style. I can't picture how it would work to have something intruding into the *atmosphere* above the second name.

***

The following information is for the calligraphers who read the blog. Sheila Waters has passed away. I was fortunate to be the hostess for the two workshops that she gave here in Des Moines. Her son, also a calligrapher, has done a beautiful job of describing what a lovely person she was.

Sheila Waters

13 March 1929 - 18 March 2022


I am very sad to share that five days after our family gathering for her 93rd birthday, my dear mother Sheila passed away. 


She died peacefully in her bed, as she had always wished to. Cathy and I have lived with and cared for Sheila for the past five years. Cathy has been an angel with Sheila. Our living together allowed Sheila to stay in this house and live exactly how she wanted. We shared and discussed everything every day and she never lost her sharp mind, nor her strong opinions! Over my whole long career she and I helped each other in our writing and giving feedback on each other’s work. This was something very fulfilling and unique, really. I am blessed. 


For our family it feels devastating and we didn’t imagine it would happen without warning. We are all rather in shock, as some of you must be too. Sheila was so mentally vital and active that it seemed she would go on for many more years. But her doctor thinks her heart just gave out in the end. 


Sheila was very gratified that her book “Foundations of Calligraphy” became an essential staple for every serious calligrapher’s library. Sheila made a huge impact, thrived on personal contact, loved teaching and sharing her great knowledge and skills, in person and online. She described herself first as a “designer calligrapher” for real world applications, not an artist per se, although she was very skilled at drawing and painting. She was tireless and driven, putting so much into her beautiful work and her writings. 


For me my mother Sheila Waters was so much more than I can ever articulate. She will be with me every day for the rest of my life. 


Julian Waters

851 Boyle Road

Fairfield, PA 17320





Yukimi has some nice photos of Sheila on her IG





No comments:

Post a Comment