Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Mistakes - Stealworthy idea from Kathleen


I don't talk about mistakes much anymore. They used to be a big part of my life. Not that they upset me. Mistakes are inevitable - so my deal was pouncing on them and making them into something wonderful. 

This IG post caught my eye and if you do much serious calligraphy, you might want to check it out. There are 4 photos - including a video of his face when he sees the mistake he made. But, I think that was staged because how often do we video ourselves looking at our work. The mistake is not just a misspelling. He repeated a phrase. 

I was going to post a link - but, it says it is broken. Maybe he took this image down. You can try going to:  https://www.instagram.com/uniqueobliques/. You will have to scroll until you see this piece.

Try to remember - making a mistake is just an opportunity to figure out a clever save. Or as some people call them - happy accidents. To me - an accident is when you spill ink, or in the case of Patty - I think her cat jumped on her desk and spilled ink and then maybe the dog got involved. It's a great story. A mistake is when you did not do that thing that you should have done to avoid something that you do not intend. It's not like we can maintain focus 100% of the time. Or can we? 

***

Kathleen is heeding my advice to make the address very legible for the USPS. The steal worthy portion of the envelope is the shape on the left which coordinates with the stamp. I'm thinking of that drug-free star stamp - it's red-white-blue. It's fun and unexpected to run the shape off the side of the envelope.

Kathleen's bouncy little script is so fun - and I always like no-caps. Interesting cancel - way off to the left with nothing touching the stamp. 

If anyone received their Feb exchange envelope from me - and found an envelope inside that had a very bold all cap KATHLEEN - with the KATH on top of the LEEN - would you please let me know. I remember making the envelope - and couldn't figure out how to improve it - so I was going to just stick it inside another envelope. But, I can't find a picture of any envelope TO Kathleen in my folder. So confusing. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment