Wednesday, July 28, 2021

PTSD to Carolyn and Jessica (Olympic rant)


The big, bold, white PITT marker was out -- I had used it on that layered mess to Kate. So, I figured I could do something on black. In addition to using up stamps, I have that hoard of envelopes. Sometimes I think I should just force myself to pick a box and start in the front and just use them up in order.

I like the PTSD stamps. They look good on black. This is an uninspired blog-blurb. Sorry. Hopefully, I will come back and improve the blurbs during this series.

***
Additional heartfelt thanks to the people who have left comments, included personal notes in snail mail and sent emails. Having an audience for my rants and ramblings is energizing. 

Now -- fasten your seatbelts - because I have a new rant. The Olympics. Jean generally ignores the Olympics because of all the political stuff that seems to detract from the fact that some very remarkable athletes just want to have a competition amongst themselves. In Jean's Olympics, the entire thing would be closed to the public as well as any type of media. If you want to compete, you agree to compete without all the frou-frah and falderal (folderol).

If you wanted to watch, you could sign up to be on the all-volunteer team that managed the logistics of running the event. It would not have to be in one place - locations would be conveniently located all over the world. Summer and winter events could be held at one time because we have two hemispheres. Yes, it would disappoint the people who love the camaraderie and the spectacle - but it would also focus on the essential part. Who just ran the fastest or jumped the highest. Wouldn't it be fun for people to just show up. Compete. Get their medals. And go home?

There have been several Olympic related items that got Jean's blood boiling - but the one that seems to be 100% absurd is the requirement for women to wear bikini bottoms while men wear shorts. Can someone explain this? If the women prefer the bikinis, fine -- but why are they required? And what if there were men who thought the bikinis were more comfortable? 




 

1 comment:

  1. Well, technically, the Norwegian team that wore the form-fitting shorts instead of bikini bottoms were playing in a completely different competition--international, yes, but not the Olympics. I don't know that the Olympics has the same requirements (though I've long been irritated by the women's volleyball uniforms--why should elite athletes wear a uniform they constantly have to adjust? How can they play their best if they need one hand free to yank on the bottom of their uniform all the time?).

    But yeah--the rules are absolutely enfuriating to me. I'm feeling the feminism lately. So tired of the imbalances.

    ReplyDelete