Sunday, July 4, 2021

e&c invitation - mailing No. 2


The USPS kindly offered a white cake with a touch of green for the wedding stamps in 2011. It was so perfect. I pulled out my nibs and white ink and did a casual pointed pen style for the invitation. I was wildly out of practice, but there were no calligraphers on the guest list, so it didn't really matter. I didn't bother with any caps - which was helpful. I lined the envelope with white paper. The envelopes were from Paper Source. As I recall, there were about 100 addresses on the list.



As you know, there was a time when wedding invitations came in double envelopes which was a hold over from Victorian times when the servants would collect the mail at the front door (often hand delivered by carriage drivers) The servants would take the mail out of the less-than-pristine envelope and the invitation would be in a clean second envelope which would be put on the silver tray and delivered to the fancy people to whom the invitation was addressed. Clearly, I think very little of most of the Victorian traditions that linger and do everything I can to politely stamp them out. 

But.......there is that little part of me that sorta likes the layers - so, I thought a translucent sleeve would be lovely. As luck would have it my dad had given me his stockpile of onionskin from back in the day when he had a typewriter and onionskin. So I made 100 sleeves by hand. 

I ordered the invitations from Reaves Engraving - letterpress. It is an old-time, Southern printer with very reasonable prices on offset, thermography, letterpress and real engraving.

https://www.reavesengraving.com







 

No comments:

Post a Comment