Friday, October 21, 2022

Neon from Leslie- Pencil heiress


Here is the other neon envelope from Leslie - made out of notebook paper. The colors are so fun - the accent colors on my name. The stamp goes beautifully. It's too bad the cancel over-printed on my name. I've submitted a bunch of questions to the USPS and am awaiting answers. My friend Natalie has moved on from Customer Service - I guess I should send some mail to the person who replaced her. Several years ago, when Natalie was a clerk at the counter, I had my pen pals send mail to her. She displayed it under the glass (or plexiglas) cover on the counter. I think you can see all of it if you do a search for Natalie.

And this was inside. I love those colors and the dots -- very cool.



***

This might be silly or absurd - to include this in my off topic portion. I have 10 posts to fill up promptly - so, forgive me.

I was surfing through some articles online and fell into one that was about a trend in NYC. Private clubs. There have always been private clubs, but one very handsome and charming fellow has opened Casa Cruz which charges between $250,000 and $500,000 to join. Mosts private clubs are in the range of $4,000 - 5,000. I was not expecting to find anything blog-worthy in the article until I read this...

Then there were the people — a fizzy cocktail of the international elite. They admired each other and snatched foie gras canapés from silver trays. <Jean snipped the mention of a couple people> Victoria von Faber-Castell, a young pencil heiress, lounged with Isabella Massenet, the Net-a-Porter scion, and Flynn Busson, the son of Elle Macpherson.

Imagine that, a pencil heiress. In case you are wondering what makes these private clubs so special -- brace yourself -- the main thing seems to be that they allow smoking. <eye-rolling>  That tidbit leaves me speechless. Although as a lapsed member of IAMPETH, I totally understand the draw of membership in exclusive organizations. International Association of Master Penman, Engrossers, and Teachers of Handwriting - for anyone new to the blog.

I Googled Ms Victoria. Lots of pictures -- but it was more fun to search the history of the Faber-Castell company. It is still a family business and Victoria is 9th generation. There is a main website which features a lot more history - as well as a US based website that doesn't bother with all the details about the family, etc - but has some interesting info. They do seem very forward thinking on things like sustainability, art therapy, etc. 

They buried the link to their [History] down at the very bottom of the main link - if anyone is interested in 9 generations of pencil makers. LINK to Faber-Castell website

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe they canceled it over your name!!! Grrrr. I don't think I've ever seen an env. canceled so far over to the left. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this envelope -- so fun for the season! I think we sometimes forget we have that unseen contributor to our art--the USPS. Because cancellation is so mechanized, I'm wondering if this envelope was too light to feed in the machine properly and was grabbed at the wrong time of the process. Often I notice that my envelopes Jean posts on the blog have wrinkles, even though I generally use cardstock inside. Would using a heavier weight, like the cardboard that comes with USPS stamps help? In the end, I guess, we must accept that unforeseen additions are part of our art form. : )

    ReplyDelete