Saturday, October 8, 2022

8 stamps on clotheslines - James Patterson 2


Scroll down for another bonus post batch of Oct 2020 envelopes.


Sneak peek at all the clothesline envelopes that I did in September. That was the month where I was determined to plan ahead and get most (or all) of the envelopes ready to go. I started drawing those careful rectangles on clotheslines in late August. I did not pull out Mary's inspiration envelope which was the first mistake. So, things went downhill. Later, I let the speed that was generated on the downhill slide give me some momentum on the uphill.

***

Sometimes I feel like I am living under a rock when I learn of someone like James Patterson who sells millions of books. He's written about 200. Many have been best sellers. Along with the success comes criticism - that he just churns out books to make a buck. 

I enjoyed the way he responded to the criticism. It's like every other uber-successful person. They are simply doing the thing they love most. In his case - telling stories. That was another way he described his style of writing - he tells a story. That's why the more conversational tone works for him.

I found the explanation of why co-authoring works for him to be interesting. When he had an idea for a book about a singer/songwriter and he needed to find out details about that lifestyle - he approached Dolly Parton. She liked the storyline and signed on to be the co-author. He defended the process of using one source for his research. Without a professional singer/songwriter co-authoring, he would have had to do a lot of research on his own. IMHO - it's a valid way to write a book.

I have yet to read any of his other books. Maybe I will someday. In the meantime, it was fun to read about someone who creates for a living and hear about all the parallels with everyone else who is in a creative career.

No comments:

Post a Comment