Sunday, July 24, 2022

SMASH's 4th of July & Smart Brevity


Thank you Smash for sending an envelope during the months I was not on the list. I was tempted to hold this one over to next year - but if I write 4th of July in this blurb, then it will pop up if anyone does a search for 4th of July. As I am following the suggestion discussed below - I need to remind myself to use words that are useful for searches.

The envelope included extra goodies:



***

Smart Brevity popped up on Axios - and I sure hope that Axios is not some crackpot scheme to take over the world and make all of us into zombies or food or whatever. They appear to be a source for news - both local and national. Several things have popped up that have been worthwhile (or entertaining).

So - when I saw Smart Brevity on Axios - I clicked on it - it seems to be a tool (or lessons) for writing - something I need.

  • Smart Brevity® is how we break through. It’s a communication style built on brain science that helps you speak and write more clearly to engage staff and stakeholders. 
My readers are not staff or stakeholders - but, I am sure you will appreciate my efforts to offer *smart* blurbs every day and go easy on the jibber-jabber.

You may watch a short video about it here - or you may read the main points that I jotted down for myself. It looks like they are trying to get customers for their consultants. Let's see how I do with my own DIY program. Maybe I can monetize and scale and take my blog *public* or option a leveraged buyout. Clearly, the coffee is talking because I have no idea if those words even belong in the same sentence. But, I was wildly excited that I've nailed No. 3. 


Smart Brevity

  1. Focus on what readers need not what I want to say
  2. Sum up the main point and say it in one sentence and say it first
  3. Write like a human - conversational
  4. Bullet points - not long paragraphs
  5. Be brief

People want simplicity and transparency 


1 comment: