Thursday, July 7, 2022

Shark from Jessica - Food report


Another shark (from Jessica) that made Alex very happy. While Ben is still a bit nervous about running into a shark - but he is a wealth of information about all the different types of sharks. Speaking of scary stuff - their mom kept putting off watching The Wizard of Oz because of the flying monkeys. I finally texted her that it was too hot for a lot of outdoor activity so we were going to be watching movies. Alex thought The W of Oz was  really lame and groaned periodically. Ben loved it. When the munchkins started marching, he literally jumped up and marched along. He was fascinated with how the people in real life were actually the people Dorothy met along the way. I guess some movies are not destined to be classics forever.

***

 Trip report: My strategy for making a trip to Iowa as good as the other places my grandkids go is to relax the *treat rules.*

Day one: They had no interest in heading out at 8:30 a.m. to drive out to the suburbs to a brand new swanky playground. They did not understand that we had to beat the heat. The bribe was: ice cream afterwards. They were through romping by 10 - so we headed back to our favorite neighborhood ice cream place which has won national awards for their homemade ice cream. And they have added donuts. So we had both. Then the kids saw the candy display and I said, "Sure. But I'll hold onto the candy until later." You know you've crossed the line of common sense when the owners of the shop whom you have known for over 40 years wonder (aloud) if Nanna is using good judgment. 

Day two: One of the traditions from my family of origin is chocolate waffles and ice cream. My grandkids have only had them once (in 2021), but asked for them again. Ben the Bamboozler said he wanted them and then once they are came off the waffle iron he said, "I guess I'll just have the ice cream." Grrrr - first bamboozle of the trip. Alex only ate one. I made a few to toss in the freezer because they do make a decadent ice cream sandwich. But there was sooo much batter.

I realized that we had forgotten to observe Ben's half-birthday - so I poured the batter into a souffle dish and baked it. Then I cut it in half and stacked the two layers - it made a really cute half-birthday cake. He doesn't like frosting and neither do I - so - quick and easy photo op. He ate the cake and then asked, "Did you make this cake out of the waffle stuff."  Yes, you little bamboozler. At least he ate it;


1 comment: