Sunday, July 17, 2022

Rerun idea --- FLW desk and chair


I've threatened to pull old mail and re-run it and today's the day I did it. This was from 10 years ago and it is something that I could do today to get my last 5 exchange envelopes done. I missed my own deadline for getting them in the mail by the 15th - grrr at myself. At least we know that I am producing new stuff for the blog - plus I will have new stuff from exchangers. I would have liked this one better without that upside-down ornament - even though that was a favorite and inspired some ideas that I love.

***
 Shout out and thank you to ChuckM - who knew how much I would love this desk and chair design by Frank Lloyd Wright. The only thing better than the picture is the story that goes with it. Be sure to read all the way to the end - that's the good part. The envelope that I chose actually coordinates nicely with the desk.


When architect Frank Lloyd Wright designs a structure, he fills it with his futuristic looking furniture. In 1939, after designing an office building for the Johnson Wax Company, Frank Lloyd Wright dreamed up some of the most innovative office desk and chair sets anyone had ever seen. These long oval desks had three tiers, with a base and an upper part, held together by red aluminum pipes, and had three drawers on the right that spin forward, rotating when opened. The metal chairs have 3 legs with caster wheels, making it easy to pull out. However, with only 3 legs, office workers would sometimes fall off balance, and end up on the floor. When this was brought to his attention Wright simply said, “I am a proponent of good posture, this will teach them to sit correctly”. However, recent reproductions were made with four legs and no wheels, keeping everyone safe and the lawyers out of the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment