Saturday, July 23, 2022

Chuck's postcard from Glen (Italian vase) - Senior living part 2


This is called asemic writing. It is by the late Glen Epstein, who taught at the U of Iowa. He was quite a character so this might be actual text. The flip side of the postcard is lovely. Thanks to Chuck for sharing. 



Another image that ChuckM sent - and I downloaded it - but not sure where the email is - but promise to update this when I find it. At least the image has a label. Giovanni Gariboldi 1935 - so you can do an image search to see more of his work.


 Yesterday's idea was just a scaled down version of my bigger, better idea that's been rattling around for years. Some of my artsy friends and I keep thinking that we want to end up in the same senior living facility when the time comes. The only way that could happen would be if we created our own. We've all been to visit people in senior living facilities and the facilities are so cookie cutter in design. We can't picture ourselves in that kind of  environment -- and the thought of returning to some avant garde, bohemian *place* that was an ongoing art project has way more appeal. 

Of course we would need some staff to help with some of the stuff - so we would have a wing for artists who needed studio space as well as a roof over their heads. I'm guessing they would have to be in a soundproofed wing - but we'll figure that out. Maybe a couple students from our local culinary school. And a couple nurses from the nursing school and a hairdresser. I think I need to research how many different trade schools we have.

I used to pester MrW to bankroll this fabulous idea -- but he usually muttered something about legalities, insurance, blah-blah-blah and made a graceful exit. I guess I'm lucky he's put up with an artist for this long. 

1 comment: