Friday, July 8, 2022

Not envelopes - Skating




This isn't an envelope - but it is paper enclosing items - and I liked the idea - so I am sharing it. The evening before the grandkids left, they were invited (with mom) to go out with friends - so I was home alone. The following day was to be the first time that my daughter ever drove all the way from DSM to Chicago - with the two kids - on her own. She was not worried at all - but, I thought it would help to have some kind of *mile-marker* activity - for the kids to get a sense of progress being made.

I found 6 small treats and wrapped them up in six different colors and shapes - and wrote the names of 6 towns between DSM and Chicago - so they could have a small treat to mark the progress. They thought it was lots of fun. I also packed a healthy lunch that they had to consume as they crossed the Mississippi River - which is the halfway point. 

I threw the *progress treats* together at the last minute -- and can think of so many ways to make it better. Maybe next year.

 ***
Another good indoor activity to beat the heat was roller blading. Thankfully, Uncle Hunter was eager to take them to an old school roller rink. Alex loved it - but Ben was self conscious. Maybe next year. It's too bad that roller rinks aren't popular anymore. It's great exercise - in air conditioned comfort. Plus, it's something you can do outside when the weather is nice. 

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea, Jean! I'm sure they loved the whole treat box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to incorporate this into our travel grab bags with the nephews. I usually wrap treats, or not, throw them in a bag and let them grab ever so often, or so many miles. I like the idea of grabbing at towns or landmarks along the way. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete