Saturday, April 16, 2022

Patty Feb - The Quilt Index


The new love stamp provided inspiration for Patty. I met Patty when she signed up for one of my classes - and we've stayed in touch. She had a background in teaching so we connected on that level, too. Not that I majored in art ed - but, there is something about art that can transcend formal education. Something I learned from getting the BFA was the interconnectedness of e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.  I'm not sure if there is any fool-proof way to make sure students learn about that. But, many teachers connect by virtue of being teachers. And now I have lost my train of thought. I think there is a connection with Patty's work... maybe it will come back to me.


 ***

Whew. I'm not going to talk about domes today. Here is a website for the quilters. If you are not a quilter - you might want to check out the second link that has the really long list of every possible thing you could document if you were going to document a quilt.

This site - The Quilt Index - is just that.
I have not figured out if the index is open to the public -- I was just blown away by the number of things there are to consider about a quilt. I wonder how many details one could come up with if they were indexing envelopes. The Quilt Index has more than 50,000 quilts. I only have 5,000 envelopes on the blog. Maybe I should start indexing them. And maybe I should learn how to fly.

The first link will take you to the page where their quilts are organized by pattern. I'd love it if someone would count how many categories they have - and let me know.

The second link takes you to an example quilt and along the right you can see the remarkable number of details that one might have for a particular quilt.

Oh -- here it is -- the main page - that tells all about the index.

No comments:

Post a Comment