Thursday, April 14, 2022

JeanR Feb - cardboard dome


The impression on the envelope (which I am guessing was made with bubble wrap) is a nice complement to the grid pattern on the stamp. Remember the elements and principles of design? Elements are the things like lines, colors, shapes, textures. Those are the basic things that you put down on paper. Principles are things that you use to make all those parts *work together.* Like repetition, contrast, movement.

How many different ways did JeanR repeat the circles?
What can we observe about the circles?
There will be a additional discussion of the elements and principles of design in May as I make a concerted effort to get the blog back on track with worthwhile content.


 ***

Cardboard fever continues. I keep finding more and better instructions for Buckminster Fuller inspired domes. I'm pretty sure I will be building one. This one caught my eye - because the design will probably appeal to my son. Or maybe it is too ---grrrrr - I can't remember the name of that fantasy style. His house has a lot of original 1920 oak - so it's on the verge of craftsman style. Maybe I could get it to look like oak. Steampunk. That's the style I couldn't remember - but then I did.


It is a really long article - because the woman shares my yearning to use only items sone already has on hand. All she had to buy were glue sticks for the hot glue gun. She has many details about work-arounds. And the grand finale is when she writes this:

If you look at the dome from the top, there's no real direction that the light should appear to come from, since I painted ALL the rivet shadows on the lower left side.  That's okay with me.  People are likely to only look at one side of the dome at a time, anyway... and those who gaze down at the top and criticize the shadow placement can make their own damn dome.





1 comment: