Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Chuck's March envelope - Allan Wexler


One if my ideas - has been to wait for mail to arrive and then do direct appropriation or variations on the theme when I send my mail. I didn't put myself on any of the lists in March - but Chuck kindly sent me an envelope. If I switch to *response only* exchanging - maybe that will get me back in the groove. It's like a *call and response.* I think that's the name of those songs that do that. That shamrock is making me hungry for a corned beef sandwich.
 

***

On March 8th, the off-topic add-on was a link to two videos about fashion. On March 4th, when I was checking upcoming scheduled posts to make sure I hadn't been spouting off random, looney things, I realized what it was about the designer that intrigued me. His mom had archived so many things from his childhood and it was clear that he was drawn to fashion from a very early age.

Stories about children who have something that draws them in at an early age always fascinate me because, I had such an early interest in the alphabet, reading, and writing. My other obsession when I was older was architecture. So, it was delightful to run across Allan Wexler. Oh.My.Gosh. 

He describes himself as an artist trapped in an architects body - or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, I loved his story and I love a lot of the zany items he makes. He also teaches. Here is a link:

http://allanwexlerstudio.com

A 1971 piece that I love.

A 2019 piece that I love.

Field Office: Young Builders Bookmobile is a mobile library/artwork that houses children's books and toys about architecture, building and construction. It was conceived and designed by artist Allan Wexler and built by The Society for the Advancement of Construction-Related Arts (SACRA). SACRA is a 15-week skill-building and career training program in "the building arts" that is directed toward under-resourced communities in Buffalo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment