Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Not an envelope - Ann Miller (Glen's postcard to Chuck)


It is so annoying that I can't remember where I found these images. It might have been IG. I met Ann Miller at a conference quite some time ago - another lovely calligrapher. These images remind me a tiny bit of Jasper Johns' layered alphabet paintings, but they are so much better (to my eyes) because Jasper used stencils and I'm not a big fan of stencil fonts. Now I am wondering what font I would choose if I could have a stencil cut in a font that I love --- hmmmm. Any suggestions?



The add on from my folder that is providing add ons - made me verklempt today.

It was serendipitous to find this email from Chuck. He shared images of a postcard from Glen Epstien. Glen has passed. He was a beloved calligrapher who taught at the U of Iowa for many years. I met him and have a couple envelopes from him from way back which I did not find when I searched on the blog, so I should find them and post them. I love that block of gestural writing with the dots.

Thanks for sharing, Chuck.



Those flag-y things on the ascenders on Chuck's name are so cool.
That's an old address - which is why it is not blocked out.



 

1 comment:

  1. I'm catching up with the blog a little! I love those works of Ann Miller. And did I tell you that I took a class from Glen at Iowa? Gothic and some pointed pen, too.

    ReplyDelete