Sunday, October 24, 2021

From Alison -- Orbs/balls


Alison provided my inspiration for my 2020 holiday envelopes and I can see some ideas in this one that I would happily appropriate. One change I would make would be leaving the bottom half-inch open for the PO. I like the address way down at the edge, but, I'm all about making things easier for the PO.
 


An Atlas Obscura article about some mysterious stone balls struck me as s little odd. It included this line:

a widely distributed mystery left by the Neolithic inhabitants of the British Isles. More than 500 stone balls like them have been discovered to date.

also this line:

and likely had some deep cultural meaning to the people who made or handled it some 5,000 years ago. 

Link to article about neolithic stone balls

I can't figure out why they need to have some deep cultural meaning. There are endless games played with balls. Humans are drawn to playing so why wouldn't a ball be the most obvious thing to make. If someone found a fairly roundish rock - wouldn't they think about making it symmetrical. They've already been making balls out of mud and other random stuff they find. And then when everyone else saw how much fun it was to roll around the rock-ball, everyone would want one. And voila, Wilson sporting goods is created. I guarantee, there is no deep cultural significance to sports.

Anyone who has boys knows that they turn anything and everything - into balls they can toss around for some kind of game. All socks are wadded into balls and become indoor games. Small boys are a direct link to pre-historic behavior. I may not have a degree in anything related to piecing together pre-historic life, but, I am correct.

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right about boys! I raised 2 of them and always equated it to raising aliens, but pre-historic does the job, too.

    ReplyDelete