Friday, October 15, 2021

International Celebrate stamps. (Shahzia Sikander)


At first, I was expecting to have trouble with Patricia's three names - but stacking them was a perfect solution. This is a variation of the DuBosch Jubilee which I have not done in a long time. I like it enough that I'm guessing I will do more. 

The one below, to Mia was done first and I was not sure how to approach the super short first name with one of the longest of the last names. Massicotte is 10 letters. Schwessinger, (Jessica from the exchange) is the longest name that I have been writing monthly, - and it is 12 letters. But Jessica is long enough that it is easy to feature it and make a small last name. I don't have any regular exchange names with only 3 letters, so this is what I did -- and I'd only give it a C-

Mia's stamps are a little crowded -- I try to make any of the international addresses very clear.  


***
The add-on today is a link to an exhibit at the Morgan Library. It might be too cerebral for some people. But, the add-ons tend to be very unpredictable. There might be some readers who are wildly excited to see what someone does when they explore and layer various themes from various cultures. 

Her work caught my eye because it is influenced by manuscript painting.

Hood's Red Rider No.2



Shahzia Sikander's words:
Cinderella’s prince holds her slipper at center while a powerful veiled heroine takes control above as a reimagined Red Riding Hood. Sikander explains, “European fairy tales, which carry deeply entrenched gender bias, were part of my childhood storybooks in Pakistan. When I started examining manuscript painting as a young adult, the passive depictions of women often perturbed me. I wanted to make female protagonists who were proactive, playful, confident, intelligent, and connected to the past in imaginative ways”

*****

I enjoyed the video. The first link takes you to a page with thumbnails.
The quote above is about Hood's Red Rider No. 2 - and I could not get a full image of the piece so it is cropped a bit on the top and bottom.

Page with thumbnails.

Video

1 comment: