Saturday, April 15, 2023

To Valerie in March - Dior video


 I think this is the third one with this quote - and it's probably the best one of the three - although I'd have to go back and look at the others to know for sure. I do think that these are nice stamps with the design. I don't have a lot to say - but there is an add-on today that I highly recommend to some of you.

It is a behind the scenes look at the making of the Dior 2023-2024 fall winter collection. I have been losing interest in fashion stuff in general - but I had to kill about 10 minutes - so I clicked on this one. The first 5-6 minutes were not interesting at all - and just as was I about to click somewhere else - they switched to a lovely gray haired lady with a huge collection of (brass?) dies for making leather flowers. Sounds ridiculous. Nobody needs leather flowers. And yet -- they ended up on a lovely garment. Next there was a woman making flowers, lace, etc that went on headbands - again - not anything we would wear - but quite beautiful - because they are made out of straw. Then there was an interesting collar on a coat that was close to something any of us might wear. And then some sleeves that were ho-hum -- and then the grand finale. I don't even know how to describe it. 

A sculptor - who works in fiber, beads, lace, and probably 1,000 other items - and she assembles them into monuments. It's fun to see someone who has a *thing* and they get to do it. Inspirational for those of us who have peculiar ideas that we might want to put together in the garage.....my assortment of paint brushes (mostly old and useless) is just begging to become some kind of shrine or monument or ?? I have some weird thing about never throwing a paintbrush away - because you might need one that you are willing to sacrifice to a project that will ruin it for good. Or you might have grandkids - and we all know how kids treat brushes.....

So -- warning -- most of this video is in French - with subtitles. And it's not for everyone - but if you have 17 minutes to kill - and you are fascinated by people who make things -- you might enjoy it.


p.s.
The part about Dior's little sister is an interesting bit of the history. I know it's easy to look at couteur clothing and think it is ridiculous. It is. But, sometimes I think of the people who are obsessed with making things that take a long time -- and they love what they do - and they are happy to have a market for what they love doing. It's pretty much what I always said about addressing fancy wedding invitations. I'd never pay someone to address my envelopes - but, I'm glad that there were enough people that I could enjoy my little career. I'm also glad I taught - that was rewarding -- but the compensation was so modest, I called it my *volunteer* work. I needed the *luxury* clients to backfill the teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment