Monday, April 3, 2023

To Peggy from Sharon + Don Young + pumpkins

 


There are 2 envelopes from Sharon to Peggy because Sharon was on 2 lists. She put her husband's name on the list so that he would get 10 celebratory envelopes for his March birthday. The orange reminds me of Halloween - so I'll pair this one with some off-topic jabbering about a local pumpkin celebrity.

Does everyone remember that Charlie Brown would wait for The Great Pumpkin? I do not recall any other details - but anything related to pumpkins reminds me of my favorite tree trimmer. One of the *joys* of living where we have big trees is that they get old and drop branches on our yards, houses, cars, and the occasional person. We keep our trees trimmed, but they have still totaled one neighbor's car and damaged another. Plus, an oak tree *felled* a mom in our neighborhood. I guess you could call it a freak accident - some parents had gone to stand under some trees at an outdoor swim meet. It wasn't a severe storm -- just rain - but I frequently look up at giant oak trees and feel a bit vulnerable.

On a lighter note, my tree trimmer has a very fun hobby. He raises giant pumpkins. It's a very old article (2010). Since then he has put in a huge greenhouse that is climate controlled with a geothermal system. I forgot to ask him what his current record is. I'm intrigued with the gourds. I've seen just regular gourds that are mighty impressive.

So - here's the link to the full article - followed by some highlights from the article.

LINK to the giant pumpkin article NYTimes (which only allows a couple free articles per month - but I know Don was proud to be featured in a NYTimes)

LINK to 2021 article this article should be free - but when I clicked on it this morning - the site was down for maintenance - but it should be back up at some point - as it is our local *free* newspaper.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this envelope. I was thinking of doing something similar with the Nancy Regan stamp.

    ReplyDelete