Monday, April 24, 2023

From Grace to Peggy - Raphael Boguslav


The little dots along the name are raised. Maybe Grace will tell us what she used. It's very pretty. Peggy liked the colors on this and the quilt stamp. She makes non-traditional quilts out of a huge stash of fabrics that she has collected. We have so much fun pondering quilts and backings and bindings. My own first attempt at a quilt is stuck because I had it all figured out and then I changed my mind on whether to make it square or rectangle. Grrrr.

About a month ago I was exchanging emails with someone who had expressed an interest in flourishing. I can always remember Jean Larche as a master - a true master - because it's hard for me to forget his first name - and I met him in real life at a conference. But there is another guy -- I had not thought of him in years and it was driving me crazy. Luckily, there is a group of calligraphers -CyberScribes- that was the first *list serve* for calligraphers - back in the dark ages.

I posted - asking if anyone could remember that guy who - - - and I listed all the random details I could remember. I was soooooo happy that someone knew who I was talking about. Raphael Boguslav. So, I'll label this post with his name and then next time I can't remember it - maybe I will remember that I filed it in the label section on my blog.

If you are interested is some beautiful design work as well as calligraphy - there is a ton of it on his website. Thankfully - someone is keeping it up. 


Don't be misled by the home page -- it looks very commercial. There is plenty of hand lettering under the WORK tab. 

This is the intro on the home page:

Raphael Boguslav (1929-2010) 
This site is being maintained (largely in tact) as a tribute to a talented and accomplished designer. May it serve as a resource and an oasis for all who appreciate well-considered graphic design and exquisite hand lettering.


 

1 comment:

  1. I like the raised bits. Yes, please tell us what you used. Do the raised bits require the envelope to be non- machinable?

    ReplyDelete