Friday, April 7, 2023

To Irene in March + USPS tips


The inspiration for this is below. This style might have popped up previously - but, I don't have time to look for it. I'm guessing I did not find and post the inspiration screen shot in any earlier post.  I also did not manage to keep the name of the IG account - so apologies for that - but it does give you a pretty good idea for how to alternate thicks and thins.

The inspiration version is a true script because everything is joined. My version is alternating a wide letter with a skinny letter - unless the upcoming letter has too many strokes and then you combine wide and skinny in one letter. I have no idea if that makes any sense -- Maybe look at the M in Blumenthal - and you can see how it started wide - but it would have been way too distracting to have three wide strokes. 

Or maybe it would have been fine. This is an example where I/we could do all kinds of experimenting to see what works and what doesn't work. 

I can tell you for sure that Irene's envelope was wretched - until I found a fun stamp that gave me some good details to repeat on the name. It's a bit overworked for my liking - but - as a *one-shot* name, it's fine. 

Brace yourselves for a *keep trying* debacle as we wind our way through my March envelopes.


I was down at the main post office mailing all but 4 of my April exchange envelopes - and requesting hand cancelling. Some of mine were conforming to the format that we know the machines can read - but others had a wild assortment of vintage stamps. I asked about the non-conforming placement of stamps and addresses and was told that any time I have an envelope that does not conform, I should just bring it to a clerk and request - non-machine cancelling - which is hand cancelling. 

Exchangers: If you have time - please send me a photo of your envelope - so we can see what they looked like with the cancel. If I decide to run the *after* photos - I will block out your address.






1 comment:

  1. I like the way your envelope turned out, and will have to try this as well.
    Blumenthal is a cool last name.

    ReplyDelete