Wednesday, April 5, 2023

From Mary to Peggy - Peggy's gourd


This one really intrigues me. There is a little heart on the back that seems to be a sticker. So I am wondering if that sticker was the inspiration for this design. Maybe not - but I hope I remember to come back and do my own version. I just bought another sheet of those stamps.

Here's the flip side - the heart part is a sticker and she added on the antenna, etc. 


Peggy's house is just full of beautiful things. Every time I visit I see something that I have never noticed before. When I dropped off this envelope (with some others) I noticed this vessel. It is a gourd with a dotted pattern - hand painted. It is so cool. I should have put something next to it that would have shown how small the dots are. They are also a bit raised. The paint seems like an enamel. 

The woven things it is sitting on is the size of a dinner plate - so that gives some idea of the scale. Note to self - plant some gourds. Or maybe see if my tree trimmer has any to spare.....


Note to Mary - or anyone wondering what an ink stick is. Mary left a comment on the post with the link to the video on making ink sticks -- no, an ink stick is not a grease pencil. It is a very hard rectangular piece of mostly carbon - and it is used to make ink. You need a stone - and you put a few drops of water on the stone - and then grind the stick with the water until ink forms. Then you use the ink with either a brush, quill, or metal nib.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for clearing up the ink stick question.
    Actually, the sticker on the back was an afterthought. I just added to it so that it would match the front. I doodled this envelope while waiting for my flight at the airport, so I guess UFO's was sort of my inspiration. I was going for little alien looking creatures that had a familiar look to them. Naturally, snail mail leads to snail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I made the heart sticker out of a plain white package label. They also work great for colored envelopes.

    ReplyDelete