Thursday, April 6, 2023

From Irene to Peggy


 Peggy was wowed by this envelope from Irene. Peggy is not a calligrapher - however she has very nice penmanship and appreciates fine lettering and calligraphy. Her parents insisted she get a degree in art education - even though she never wanted to be an art teacher. She decided to get a masters degree in printmaking. Then she got her first job after college at the art museum in my back yard where I taught. Peggy ended up as the director of the studio program - so technically - she did end up in art education - but avoided being an art teacher in a school. While I know some people who are very well suited for that career - Peggy and I agree that it takes a very particular kind of person to teach K-12 art. I enjoyed the kids classes I taught at the museum -- but - I enjoyed taking early retirement from that age group.

It's not that I didn't like the kids -- they were so interesting. My issue was that they'd sneeze on me - and then I'd catch it. I feel like I just wrote about this - forgive me if I am repeating myself. When I check the blurbs right before they pop up - I sometimes see a comment that needs a bit of clarification - which is what happened when I saw my comment on retiring. I didn't want it to look like it was because of the kids behavior. 

2 comments:

  1. I taught children's classes at the museum where I work just before Christmas. I had two or 3 plague spreaders in a week of classes. I ended up bringing home a cold that wouldn't end. Turned out to be whooping cough and took 3 months to get over it. I was personally requested to teach 2 more kid classes at the museum two weeks from today. I should have said no. 😺

    ReplyDelete