Thursday, September 23, 2021

Two from Sharon - Coffee & Watermelon & Allium


I feel like there was something really good inside the coffee envelope and I feel like I will find it.
Sharon is a relative newcomer to the exchanges and her work is lovely. I do hope I figure out what was in the envelope.





I do not recall the name of those flowers and I can't think of a way to do a search to find the name.
<pause> Well that could not have been easier. I searched *purple puff ball flowers* and there are tons of gorgeous photos of allium. As you scroll down there are other kinds of puff ball flowers. So many. So pretty. The flowers are mostly gone for the season - except for those big pots of forced chrysanthemums that are popping up all over.

Personally, I would like to see them banned - the same way that people try to ban foie gras. A knowledgable horticulturist told me that those forced plants seldom do well if a person tries to keep them as a perennial. It seems like a shame to grow a perennial and use it like an annual. My kooky streak that anthropomorphizes things has a notion that plants can feel things. 

Some of you are nodding because you read the book about how trees communicate and help each other out and warn each other. I have not read it yet because it might be too sad. If trees do all that communicating, why wouldn't flowers? And how sad is it for perennials to have to live the life of an annual? What does it feel like to be forced?

I'll refrain from discussing how upset plants are when we eat them. The expedition to Target just ended and clearly I should not be working on the blog. But, I also can't let myself fall asleep too early. Thank you for letting me deal with my situation.


 

1 comment:

  1. These are so great. It's just too bad when the postal cancellation is so much over the stamp that you can barely tell the design matches it. (Took me a while with the flowers.)

    ReplyDelete