Monday, September 27, 2021

MicB - silver + moon stamp. (proportion rant)


This is a simple design and very straight forward lettering. What makes it so nice is the spacing. We don't  know how much planning went into it. The proportions of the name and address are very nice. Spacing between lines is perfect. Maybe she practiced it before putting it on the envelope. The margin around the stamp works with the space above the *on* being consistent. The stars are nice. Did she add the star after *Street* to make that line centered? We'll never know. But, it's another feature that I like. I like the bit of a serif on the L because *il* can be so skinny and weird. 

Here comes something that I hardly ever comment on. Nice S's!!  I hardly ever say that because a lot of people struggle with S's. These are nice because they are top heavy. That's a very good secret to remember when you get to an S. I refrain from pointing out bad S's. 

A+ on your numbers, MicB. A+ on your letter spacing.

My second biggest gripe with lettering is the proportion of caps to small letters. So.Many.People. make the caps twice the height of the small letters. Yuck. Double yuck. I know that's what you learned in first grade. But, there is a big world that comes after first grade. I guess, if you had cursive, you got a double dose of yuck. They maintain the twice the height caps in cursive.

OK -- this is a sneaky rant. I did not intend to rant at the beginning, but my blood started boiling. If you make your caps twice the height of the lower case - please stop it. Either make them just a bit taller - or make the lower case really small and the caps about 3 or 4 times taller. There are times when they can be even more.

It will be interesting to see if I get any comments on this rant. Feel free to email me directly if you do not want to post a public comment. Maybe I should post some examples. Or you may just cruise over to John Stevens IG or website -- and you will see what I am talking about.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment