Sunday, September 5, 2021

RachaelT - sunshine and cowboys (deleted rant/tomatoes)


Rachael said she was happy to discover Ben Shahn lettering. It is still on my list of styles I really, really, really want to try. The right justified layout is so nice. I can see how this style would be perfect for right justified because it has a lot of leeway in each letter, so you could pencil it and it wouldn't be too hard to make it come out super straight. I love those cowboy stamps. I just bought the western wear USPS stamps. They have really nice fall colors. Hard to believe we are headed into fall. Summer went so fast.

******

So much going on these days. I'm writing this on Aug 27 - so a lot could change by the time this pops up. 

Then on Sept 1st, I deleted what I wrote on the 27th.

It's hard to know what's going to be going on in 4 days. It's probably best to stay away from current events. 

Let's just report on the tomatoes that my son has grown in his first ever garden. Lots of wonderful tomatoes. Here is my question. Will his garden be just as good next year - or do tomatoes deplete the soil? I like the part where he does all the work and I just get to pick them. 

Feel free to leave a message in the comments or email me directly if you are knowledgable about raising tomatoes. Yes, I could always use Google, but, I am trying to keep my screen time down. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Re: 'maters: Tell him to dig up a copy of Rodale's 'Organic Gardening' - should be able to find a used copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your son is starting a garden. I hope you still give rants and updates, though - I do look forward to reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomatoes like to grow in the same spot every year (most vegs don't). But--they do need an infusion of compost annually (it's good if about 20% of the soil is compost), and it's also wise to give the spot a break every 4th year, as tomatoes are susceptible to soil-borne diseases.

    ReplyDelete