Friday, September 3, 2021

JeanR - art/books/visit/abode


JeanR took an online class (or two - or more) with Benoit Furet and she knows how to pronounce his name. My second outing after my mishap was to see JeanR. She has so many wonderful things to see. 
There is so much to look at today, I will skip my jabbering and ranting. The Benoit-inspired J on the card from JeanR is so pretty and I look forward to trying some filigree work s.o.m.e.d.a.y.

Actually, I do have something to jabber about. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the biography of Leonardo DaVinci by Walter Isaacson. I could fill about 20 posts with items that were interesting to me. I'll just go with the item that relates to being inspired by the work of others - it is a fact that Renaissance masters did all kinds of collaborating and *copying* of styles. They were not the only ones. I've yakked about it before. Seeing things you like and trying to replicate them is one of the best ways to learn. Obviously, you do not misrepresent exact copies as your own. But to replicate is a valid form of study.

Here is a J that JeanR did for herself. The J itself is 2-inches high. There is one photo with the nib - to try to show scale. It is the tiniest nib I have ever seen. We couldn't see any name or number on the nib. If I try my hand at filigree work, I will use a mapping pen or a crow quill.

Below the J are some very cool books that JeanR made.







A cool accordion book with lettering that I believe is also Benoit-inspired.

I love Jean's home. The city of West Duh Moines repurposed a 1939 elementary school into artist's lofts. In addition to your living space, you get a separate studio. She is on the second floor, so it is like living in a tree house. Thick concrete walls and floors make it very quiet. I can't think of a more secure place to be in case of tornado. Obviously you would not stand by the window and watch. There are plenty of indoor spaces.

The ceiling is much higher than what the picture shows. There are 4 panes of window - top to bottom. The building is on a double city block with tons of green space and the play ground area is rather new and fabulous. The only downside is that there is no indoor parking, making it treacherous in the winter. JeanR solves that by heading south every winter. Smart lady. Talented artist.


A colorful ABC book.


This is one shot of the exterior - I couldn't find one with the playground.


This is a unit on the ground floor. 
It shows the kitchen area. That island is on wheels which is nice.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment