Sunday, September 25, 2022

Who sent this one? Debbie?


 I can't figure out where this envelope is - and I can't remember who sent it. There is nobody with a Carol Stream, IL address - and the only one who is even close is Debbie. Maybe Debbie will drop me an email and let me know if it's from her. It's a really nice design - arts & crafts - and it looks really nice with that stamp. I would not have thought of that combination.

It's a great way to use the broad edge markers. Once again - keeping the stamp away from the corner gave the post office a chance to add to the design. The words above the stamp are nicely centered over the stamp. I even like the way the bar code is hidden by the design. Although, I wonder if that's a problem for the machines.

I wonder if that barcode is always exactly the same distance from the bottom edge. If it is, it would be fun to create a border that incorporated the barcode. Caterpillars come to mind.

One more thing that I really like about this one is the relaxed feel. There is a little bleeding. The spaces between the marks vary. It is not overly regimented, but it is still geometric. Balanced. That's what I like. Organized enough to feel composed, but relaxed enough to feel like it was fun to do.

***
There is a question from Ruth (about placement of the stamp) - and I can't figure out how to leave a comment - so will answer here. The USPS requests that the stamps be put in the upper right corner. That is the most efficient way to get the mail through the system. When the stamp is not in that corner, it may delay the process - but unconventional placement of the stamp does not fall into the category of *undeliverable.* 

If you ask postal workers what they think of rogue placement of stamps - you will get a variety of answers. Some are sticklers for the rules and bark at the customers. Others love the idea of mail art and appreciate the extra revenue it generates.

If people peel off uncanceled stamps and try to reuse them, that is probably prohibited. I will do some research and find out what they do to people who try to reuse stamps.

2 comments:

  1. Curious. What does the postal service think of this? Stamp is in the corner so it can be canceled and not reused. I like decorating envelopes but don't interfere with regulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that alphabet...really different and fun!

    ReplyDelete