Monday, September 5, 2022

Janet's snowflakes - art/design - design/art

 


Hot pink with snowflakes -- an un expected combination. It's 100 as I write this - and looking forward to seeing this in Sept when all that heat will hopefully be a foggy memory. 

Ooops - this post originally said that it was done by Leslie - and it was from Janet to Leslie. Thank you Leslie for leaving a comment. :-)

***

Leave it to the BigHelpfulBrother (scientist/musician) to respond to my question about why art and design are split into two categories when, to me, they seem like the same thing. His response, on Aug 7th:

I would say that art is design as a means of self expression and design is the art of inducing a particular emotion in viewers.

 That sounds about right. The other thing I realized is that *art* is a bit like *life.* It's a pretty broad category. To say that a person has a degree in *art* covers a lot of territory/disciplines. It includes: music, theater, film - and while they are not art majors, writers tend to live with all that it means to be an artist. 

To say that a person has a degree in *design* covers a lot of territory. Interior design, fashion design, textile design, and then there is the crossover into architecture. They are artists as well as designers.

And at this point, we must include those who do not follow the traditional path and are self taught or craftsmen. And then there are all the people who practice the art of [insert anything]. Medicine. Landscaping. Cuisine. Wandering. Is there anything that is not an art? 

Abrupt ending to this topic because I am still self-teaching myself the art of concise writing. 

1 comment:

  1. I just want to give credit, so others know -- this was from Janet to me (not my creation). So, JANET did this!! ;)

    ReplyDelete