Friday, September 9, 2022

To Jessica in Aug -- Strength book


I usually write Jessica's last name small - same size as the address. But once in a while I see if I can fit it into something interesting. It was prettier on the vellum, without anything inside. Below shows it with the white paper filler. These envelopes need to feature their design element on whatever goes inside. I have a marker that is specifically for vellum - and the neon is just regular gel pen. It was fun to do a non-dotty design with the dotty stamp - just to be a bit unexpected.


And then I realized that Jessica has an August birthday - so I wrote happy - many times - and *birthday to you* on the R.
 

***

Is it annoying when I read books and then talk about them? I resisted saying anything about a couple, but my latest one is about managing the inevitable decline as we age. 

Most people, when asked, "When does *old* happen?" reply -- 85. The average lifespan is mid 70's - so people generally die before they perceive themselves to be *old.* 

My brother has mentioned several times over the years that most of the really significant breakthroughs in science and math and whatnot are made by people who are quite young. Studies confirm that elderly geniuses do not usually come up with brilliant discoveries late in life. In fact, studies show that most people generally peak in their 40s and the downhill slide happens in the early 50s, even though nobody wants to acknowledge that.

And who fares the worst? Professional athletes - they usually peak much earlier - and can struggle with figuring out a meaningful existence after their peak. Other people who struggle are those who were acknowledged to be very bright and successful in their youth. *Average* people often handle aging and decline more gracefully.

Where am I going with this? I'll let you know if the author even mentions artists -- but, IMHO - art is the one place where many people ride the wave of ups and downs. It's an activity/career that *ages* gracefully. There are plenty of artists (in all disciplines) who have had longevity with their creativity.

From Strength to Strength by Arthur C Brooks - is the book I am *reviewing.*

***

I forgot to pay attention - and now I do not recall if he covered art. Sorry. While it was somewhat interesting, it is not a book that I highly recommend. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel artist get somewhat better with age as long as their hand is steady, simply because the more you do something the better you get.
    I love the non dotty with the dotty stamp.

    ReplyDelete