Monday, September 12, 2022

To Leslie in Aug - PSA - pocket voice mails


Leslie was the only one who requested this style when I offered it to the exchangers in the Aug sign-up. I was surprised that  it was not more popular. The letters in Leslie's name are mostly angular and a bit repetitive - so, it did not turn out as cute as I was hoping. I actually thought it was a complete dud - until I went looking for a stamp and then -voila- so cute.

****
Here is another PSA. If you are at the grocery store and you feel like there is a voice following you around. Look in your purse or pocket and see if it is your phone. It will be asking you if you would like to send your voice mail. Then, when you try to click on [Cancel] beware - you might actually send it and then - because aliens are running our phones, it will hide the whole thing and you will not know to whom you accidentally sent a voice mail that was recording all the conversations that you have recorded at the grocery store - or - heaven forbid - some other kind of conversation that you would not want sent to the last person you called. 

I hope you get the gist of how unsettling this is to know that your phone can just start recording your conversations and then trick you into sending them. Luckily, I was able to find MrWilson and get him to delete the voicemail - without looking like I was trying to hide something - I'm lucky that he had another voicemail that he was more interested in. 

This is even more important PSA - don't put your phone in the cup holder while you are driving if the button on the side is one of those SOS buttons. 911 responders are reporting a lot of accidental calls from phones in cup holders and they are required to follow up on every call - so it wastes their time. I have done some inept volume changing that brought up a screen asking me if I truly needed 911 - so, I'm rather nervous about how those buttons work. I had no idea that I had an SOS button. <sigh> I was planning on just asking Siri for help. 

And I do not have an Apple Watch - but they even have a feature that detects falling and if you do not respond to the alert asking you if you are OK - they will either call your In-Case-of-Emergency person and if that person does not answer, they will send rescue people.

Sorry this is so long - I'll be brief tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the sos button either. I'd love an envelope with this lettering sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought my Apple watch expressively for the feature that detects falling (as I'm a widow living alone)... AND it works! I was on the golf course, my ball went into a shallow ditch. Naturally, I wanted my ball back, so standing on the somewhat muddy bank, I tried scooping it out, when I slipped and sat down abruptly. My watch started flashing at me asking if I was all right... Took me a few seconds to catch my breath, & by then it was making noises to alert me! Yes, I'm fine...really and it turned off. My friends & I are very impressed! Technology can be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete