Saturday, August 13, 2022

To Leslie in July - *Sports* report

 


Leslie's name fits in so nicely - but I never came up with a good idea for finishing it - so this is what she got. The pitiful navy dud (below) was inside - another idea that didn't work out. I was *grrrr-ing* at myself - and as I write this on July 31st, I've been puttering at my desk and I think I might be turning a corner. Although I will probably regret even saying that.




****

Yup. Farm/Weather/Sports - we are continuing with my faux-reports. I wondered how the skateboarders were doing at the competition that I attended before it actually started. Sky Brown won again in the women's division. No word on if she's going to join the Air Force. My older son did the fly-through-the-air-on ramps skating on in-line skates, not a skateboard. And I spent a couple summers (in the 90's) driving him around the midwest to little competitions in parking lots. It was a very strange time - hanging with teenaged boys. I'm happy to see that the *sport* has opened up to girls/women. The part where she is not wearing elbow pads or wrist guards is concerning. 


Once again - if you have to put up with offspring who are into sports and not arts - don't despair - the parts of your brain that light up when you make art are the same parts that light up when you play sports.

And if you want to kill a little more time before you get yourself back to something productive - here is the play-by-play of Sky's winning run. I always wondered how the tricks got their names. 

Brown’s best run, which scored an 89.66, started off with a crowd (and announcer) favorite frontside 360, then went into frontside stalefish air, alley-oop transfer over the hip, backside tailslide through the corner, backside lipslide, melon air over the box jump, tuck-knee invert, backside Smith grind, frontside ollie, frontside nosegrind, frontside 540, and backside noseblunt Indy.


No comments:

Post a Comment