Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Janet's Rachael-inspired - cartouches

After I did the one in yesterday's post - to Jean - I thought I would try Janet. First problem, I did not allow room for 5 letters so the Et is squished. I tried a bolder pen for the outline and it was way too bold - but I forged ahead, thinking I might have some brilliant idea to save it. I did not. Then the last name left some awkward space. and it was looking grim - until I noticed the stickers that my grandson had given me. They are not a brilliant save - but they are better than nothing. In the photo - the colors in the stamp only look vaguely OK. It seems like they were pretty good in real life. I'm still crazy about that fun little cartouche. That's the word for a border thing that goes around something that is part of something larger. That's a clumsy definition. But it's way better than anything I found online. I don't think online definitions are always up on some of the things that are getting to be very old fashioned.

Maybe first one is OK. But, I think cartouches are not limited to ovals, scrolls, and rectangles.

  1. 1. A structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription.
  2. 2. An oval or oblong figure in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics that encloses characters expressing the names or epithets of royal or divine personages.
  3. 3. A heavy paper cartridge case.




 

1 comment: