Sunday, August 21, 2022

From Faye in July


 Here is another use of the design principle - repetition - from Faye. It also reminded me that Sam and I had a discussion about running designs off the edge and I've noticed that I tend to run things off three edges. Faye ran off four edges - but the top edge only has that tiny bit in the upper left corner. She left some white space rather than making it an overall pattern.

The two flowers that run off the two left corners have a slight difference. And the red one in the lower right is different from the two on the left. Did she consciously make that decision? Or was it an innate design sense guiding her? Or both?

IMHO - when you are using repetition, you can be super rigid about it - or you can make a point of having some variation. There's no right or wrong way to make that decision. It's just a decision. Making any kind of art/design is an endless array of decisions. In some ways, it boggles the mind. 

Of course, you can just let your gut guide you and flip a coin whenever you have to make a decision. But, even that is making a decision. OK, I have to stop. I don't even know if I am making sense any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment