Sunday, August 7, 2022

The sublime and the ridiculous

 


Mike and I exchange envelopes from time to time. I keep forgetting to ask him if he is exclusively a Spencerian-writer - or if he does other styles. He has some computer skills, too, because he scanned the stamp and arranged additional flowers. I like how that one is running off the edge. 

Below is the back as well as the inside of the card and the front of the card. I have no idea what kind of flower that is - but it's perfect with the stamp.

Lets talk about the grid design combined with the organic flower. Even though flowers are very organic, this one has been flipped into the geometric world - which makes it much more harmonious  with the grid. The little black design is an overall pattern, but it leans towards organic. 

So basically, we have 3 elements - bridging organic and geometric.

This blurb was inspired by a recent conversation I started with someone about the elements of design. I think I've talked about them before. They are the basic building blocks of all things visual. I think they should be called the building blocks of art - but art and design seem to be two things in the world of art education. If anyone knows why they are split into two -- please let me know. 





That's our sublime for the day - here's the ridiculous.
I started a new blog. The Elevated Envelope. I'm thinking of cross posting and reposting so that I have a better archive where I can search stuff. Digging through the 5388 posts is just too much.
It's not a ridiculous idea - but it's ridiculous to think that I'll actually get it done. 


3 comments:

  1. I would say that art is design as a means of self expression and design is the art of inducing a particular emotion in viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that title! Can we view it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to sign in on MrWilson's computer and it looks like I can leave a comment from a PC. So, that's interesting. However, it does not solve my problem on the Mac. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete