Saturday, August 27, 2022

Mary's rainbow - Jelly gouache

Ooops - forgot to schedule a post for today -- so this one is late.



Another very clever idea from Mary that she shared with us - from her series that she sends to a little buddy. I'm not sure where the name and address will go. Maybe in the cloud. Or it would be fun to put it along the bottom edge. Although that's not USPS scanner friendly.  Only 3 more days for me to fill up August and it is Aug 2nd as I write this. Fingers crossed that the good feelings about getting started on my exchange envelopes are not those tricky feelings that ditch me when I actually sit down at the desk.

***

I just spent an hour on YouTube watching videos about *jelly gouache.* It would be impossible to direct you to any specific video. In a weird way, my favorite one was by a very meticulous person showing how they cleaned up their palette. Many of the people who make these videos seem a bit quirky - she said - as if she was unaware that she's a quirk-meister herself.

Regular gouache is opaque watercolor and comes in a tube. You may thin it with water and make it look like watercolor, but it is usually applied in thicker coats and reminds some people of poster paints because of the consistency and coverage, but it is a higher quality paint. 

Regular gouache has to be thinned before you use it. The more expensive brands are definitely better. Apparently, someone thought it would be fun to try a version that is already thinned to a consistency where you could just dip your brush and paint - without having to thin it first.

They called this new consistency - jelly gouache - because it comes in little containers that look exactly like the individual servings of jelly used in restaurants. You can get sets of 18, 24 or 56 colors

Several of the people in the YouTube videos mention how cheap it is - which make me suspicious. They don't always like it at first, but it seems to grow on them after they get used to the consistency and ease of dipping. Obviously, it is easy to contaminate the colors if you accidentally dip a brush with one color on it - into another color.

I also saw some large containers that looked like a fruit drink pouch (Capri Sun) with a screw top on the corner. You can refill your small tubs from these large containers. 

I will not be sampling this product - but if any of you are art supply junkies - I bet you could have a ton of fun. If anyone tries it - I would welcome a review for the blog. 

a bunch of jelly gouache videos

1 comment:

  1. Yes,I put puffy letters in the cloud for the name and address. I thought about filling the right side with address and the left side with name, but I'm currently on fairly good terms with my small town postal staff, so I stuck to the cloud. I'm head to amazon tou check out jelly gouache. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete