Thursday, August 18, 2022

Jean's pink ugh-mo to Mia

At first glance, it might not seem ugh-mo. The colors are fine - and they go with the stamp. It's only ugh-mo when you see what I was using for inspiration. It's on this IG account: carla's IG


I should not have tried to do something similar on such a large envelope. The proportion of any focal point to the overall size of the work is important. Then, I should have known that the hot pink lines for the plaid would be too bold. They might not look that bad - and that's because I spent time covering them up with a white gel pen. That was not a good use of time - but I did not know that until it was done. It might have been cool. I'm also highly annoyed with myself for not extending the crossbar on the A over both strokes.  The address is too big and bold. If the plaid had been softer, I could have drawn all the lines and then lettered the address over the top. I should have done it in pale colored pencil.

It might have worked to double stroke the letters in her name - to make the name the same proportion as Carla's. And the crossbar should have tilted upwards. I know that. When there is only one horizontal thing, tipped, it needs to tip up to the right to look happy. Downward tipping is the universal symbol for *dismal.* OK, that's an over-statement. But there are perky directions and somber directions.

And for the final blast - what kind of looney-toon would try this on that stupid ribbed paper? That was guaranteed to mess things up. I knew that going into the whole thing - but, chose to be stupid. Why? No excuse, sir. .

Many thanks to everyone who resisted the temptation to tell me that mine is just fine. It's not and I appreciate that all y'all agree with me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment