Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Jill's coat - no envelope today

 I didn't want to say anything right after the inauguration because I don't like to come across as critical. But, I did want to toss this out because it reminded me of how I often have a rough sketch that I like and then when I do the final, I don't always relax and keep the spontaneity.

I love florals and there was a time that I had a ton of flowery stuff in my closet. So, my first impression of Jill's coat was, "I love it." Then when I looked more closely - the spaces between the flowers bothered me. It felt like they had a set of rubber stamps and tried to fit them together - but the white spaces did not flow. The placement of the flowers seems a little awkward. 

I was not going to even say anything on the blog - until I happened across this article that shows a sketch of the design. The sketch is so pretty. I wish they had maintained that look when they went to the embroidery. 

I'll put a couple photos here and link to the article if anyone is interested.

Link to article about Jill's coat

There is some overlap on the sketch. 
It would have been cool to let the flowers touch or overlap - but someone must have chickened out.


Maybe they used clip art. It sure looks like it in this photo.
I know it's hard to find people who can draw these days.


If I run out of things to do -- I'll make my own version.
The USPS kindly printed up that sheet of stamps with the 50 state flowers
for reference and I know how to draw.

I could just draw on fabric. I don't think I need a white winter coat.
It would be pretty on a tunic styled shirt.
And then I could embroider the drawing in my spare time.


****
I wrote this back in January - it is now the end of March and when I look at the white spaces now, they bother me even more. I do not have time to find an example of a floral border where the leaves and stems are done in a way that everything relates. I'm not finding the right words to describe what it is that bothers me. Maybe someone else will.

And here is an article confirming that Jill commenting on fashion is not something that she's going to be doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment