Thursday, March 25, 2021

Christi - scripsit & pinxit - off-topic unless I add an envelope (no rant)

 

This is a detail from a blog post on EyesWideShut - a blog that has been in my list of recommended blogs for a couple years (at least). Christi's blog is in the category of quality over quantity. I always have to click on her images and enlarge them to see the details. This one caught my eye because I had never seen the word -pinxit. It was fun to Google it and learn all about it. How can I be 69 and just learning something as important as this? Better late than never, eh? Did all of you already know about it?



I included Christi's image of the easier-to-draw-faces *up-side* to the pandemic. It's seems odd to be looking for or even finding any kind of *up-side* to a pandemic - but there are quite a few (according to articles I've read). For me, hiding behind a mask has been a wee bit comforting. I'm not naturally very outgoing. My cheerfulness is a bit random. 

You might want to check on other posts that have appeared since this one.


I hope I get around to trying my hand at some lettering inspired by Christi's. It reminds me of the Worms Bible lettering that I posted a while back. Those middy-people liked their red lettering. Does everyone know the origin of the expression: a red letter day?


I bumped this post to Mar 25th - since that is a red letter day -- Lady Day --
and what, you may be asking, is Lady Day - something else I have never heard of?
You may check Wiki for that, too. You can click on it at the above link.
It's the day that the angel came to Mary with the shocking news.
Wow -- that takes me back.
When I was expecting my offspring we still had to stop in at a lab for a blood test. When they called me with the results, they gave me some results for some other kind of test. 
I said -- "Uh, I don't think that's right. I had a pregnancy test."
The person on the phone said, "Oooops. There were two Jean Wilson's here today."
I asked how old the other Jean Wilson was and as I recall -- she was close to 50.
We agreed that it was a good thing that the mix-up was discovered on the call to me -- as the older Jean Wilson might have been pretty upset to hear that she was pregnant.

*****

One more thing about pinxit - 
in case you like Latin
pinxit is the third-person singular perfect active indicative of pingō, with the meanings: I decorate or embellish; I painttintor colour; I portray.

Pingo would be a good word to remember for people who want to be evasive about what they do for a living.
When asked "What do you do?"
they could reply "I pingo."
I wonder what the word would be to fill in under the line for occupation:

pingoer or pinger ?

2 comments:

  1. Pingerist or maybe Pingeriste 😺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean ... what a treat and surprise. The part I'd think you'd like is the stamp, my husband made me the 'scripsit' stamp for Xmas. (Because I have a ream of gummed paper after my recent stamp-making attempts.) After adding pinxit and signature, I think I'll use this always as my copyright for the pages. You are one faithful fan, and I am one of yours. --Christi

    ReplyDelete