Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Barf Font (Handwritten Letter Appreciation Society)

 Have I lost my mind?

Not that I know of. I am sifting through my big fat binder of fonts that I have saved. I had a fuzzy copy of this font and did a search to see if it would pop up - bingo - I was happy to find who designed the font.

Bernard “Hap” Kliban (1935–1990) offered Barf Bold, a Decorative Typeface in one of his hilarious cartoon collections in the early ’80s. Kliban created the cartoon genre that consisted of a single panel with a droll, third person narration (e.g., “Houdini escaping from New Jersey”), a style which Gary Larson of “The Far Side” later became famous for.

Kliban’s correct use of the term “decorative typeface” (he could have also used “display face”) is especially notable now that most people use the term “font” broadly to mean a printed face, a typographic family, a specific typeface, or (correctly) the licensed software that allows us to reproduce type on our computers.


Link to carsonparkdesign  where I found this.
I have not had time to surf around that site. It might be full of goodies.

***
I did a little surfing so that we would have an envelope idea today.
I do not have time to go to the link and see if the society is still up and running.
Maybe later?



It only took a minute to confirm that it is up and running - and based in the UK.






2 comments:

  1. I so enjoy your blog and get lots of inspiration. Thank you for the link to the society...an other interesting site.
    ~Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying the content and links. I hope I remember to go back to the society website.

      Delete