Friday, November 18, 2022

Oct 2020 from GraceE - critique vs criticism


Here is an envelope from Grace when she was taking a break from her sublime pointed pen work and doing something for fun. I hope she still finds time to do envelopes like this. I think it's a good counter-balance to the traditional work.

 ***

OK - here is the part of the conversation that inspired me to start sharing conversations.
I had probably written some kind of critique about my own envelope that I had sent to this person and they  included this in their sign-up email:

Loved your Halloween envelope.  I’ve decided that there isn’t an artist out there who is not critical of their work. (I am not even remotely referring to myself as even close to an artist!)  It is merely my observation.  I am only happy to be included in this exchange with so many incredible artists!

There are several things to talk about -- and I'll start with the one that has come up several times -- critiquing vs criticizing. I keep promising to keep my comments about my own work in the world of critique - which is honest evaluation of the components of the work instead of just badmouthing whatever I did with harsh criticism. 

It's hard to tell if I would be able to keep my comments in the critique world instead of criticism. But, it's worth a try. Tomorrow we will talk about who gets to be artists. And the following day we will talk about who gets to be an incredible artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment