Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Nov 2020 from Patty - makers/artists/rock stars


Patty is so lucky to have those stamps. The colors she chose for the blue-gray envelope are perfect. She was able to see the undertones in the stamp. The cancel in both upper right and lower left is nice. 
***
Let's circle back and wrap up the discussion (for the moment) on who gets to label themselves an artist. There's a wonderful *next chapter* coming up in early January....my request for *conversations* has brought forth some really good stuff. 

Quick review: We are all makers. Some of us think spending time on a piece makes a person an *artist* - but others think that the word artist should be reserved for only some of the makers. Bottom line - anything having to do with art is going to be hard to define - and that IMHO is the essence of art as well as artists. They both defy definitions that work for *everyone.* 

What have we accomplished? 

Chore avoidance and the news.

I think I was going to come back and talk about who gets to be the illustrious artists. But that's another rocky road with booby traps and random things falling out of the sky that we don't need to bother with. I guarantee none of us are all that illustrious. I've had the great fortune to rub elbows and hang out with some of the illustrious rock stars- and ya know what? They are not any different than the rest of us. NOT ONE BIT. Their work is different than ours. It's freaking awesome. But, they are 100% typical as people. Well, typical, compared to me. Maybe I'm not typical. If anyone wants to do an assessment - lemmekno.

I suppose you think I'm going to back that statement up - the one that the rock stars (as people) are typical. I would - but, I don't think it would be interesting.  I might circle back with a couple other observations -- but someone will have to remind me to do so.
 

1 comment:

  1. ok, last comment for me on this (as I meant to post last time): Artist definition (take it or leave it, and we all can have our own opinions on this!) -- a person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby.
    Similar:
    creator
    originator
    designer
    producer
    fine artist
    old master
    begetter
    a person who practices any of the various creative arts, such as a sculptor, novelist, poet, or filmmaker.
    a person skilled at a particular task or occupation.

    And like it or not, a hobbyist can be an artist as well. They can refer to themselves however they like, regardless of their skill level (and vice-versa!) ;)

    ReplyDelete