Sunday, November 20, 2022

Nov 2020 from Janet - artist label and skill level



The Nov 2020 envelopes were found in a folder on my computer which means the hard copies are hiding somewhere which means I can only guess - but I'm pretty sure that Janet went to town with her X-acto knife. I'm guessing paper was self adhesive. Both the front and back are super stealworthy. The combination of the very geometric name with the swirly address is a wonderful combo. 

***

Another thing that people use to decide who the artists are - is - has their work been sold or hung in an exhibit. Once again - if that's what people want to use for their litmus test - I won't argue with them. But, it  is not something that works for me. There are artists who keep all their work to themselves -- and they are artists.

So - I think people who shy away from using the label *artist* on themselves - while they are actively engaged in *making art* are trying to show respect to those people who are really proficient at their art. I can see that. It's nice to acknowledge skill and that *extra* something that some people have. 
 

1 comment:

  1. ok, so I have to respectfully disagree again! ;) I don't necessarily see (some) career artists as "really proficient" or having that extra something. They're just getting paid. Guess it's all relative. That's why I always refer others (esp. those who question themselves) to that book! I think the word "artist" and its meaning have just filtered down in our language to be seen as something more than it is -- too much of a build-up, so it can seem intimidating for others to use (myself included!) After all, if we look up the meaning of the word itself, it includes hobby! :)

    ReplyDelete