Friday, November 4, 2022

Dec 2020 - Maggie/Nancy/Patty/Rachael - Mr Doodle


This batch happened when I actually got my white ink out. I was sooo rusty. That Wilsontonia stamp is a design from the lovely and talented Christi Payne. It's so cool - and I do not recall if I have ever posted it. I need to post a better photo. They are faux postage. 


I deeply regret even trying white pencil on this one - and once again -- what ever happened to Nanski?


Deeply regret the way I treated the two names. Deeply.


Deeply regret the Thomas part. The Rachael is wonky - but it would have been better on its own. Deeply thankful for Rachael contribution of the phrase *deeply regret* to our little corner of the internet.

*** 

 It is still Oct 10 and I have just watched the Mr Doodle video. It hit the internet on Oct 1 and by now, I expect many of you have seen it. Maybe you just watched the video. Maybe you went down the Mr Doodle rabbit hole and found his tour of his house. And if you love doodling, maybe you went to his YouTube channel to see how long he has been posting and how much is there.

There are nearly 200 videos going back about 7 years that cover his current style. Scrolling back in time - there are another 35 videos of his early work. His work reminds me of Keith Herring's work - a bit. But, he has clearly settled into his own style. He has taken doodling to a level that is IMHO - *fine art.* He might not agree - but, he certainly appears to be making a living with his art and that is no small thing. Is it light hearted and whimsical? Yes it is. Will there be critics who scoff at it and insist that it has no place in the world of *fine art?* Most certainly.

Do we care about that debate? We do not. If you have no interest in doodles - just move along and ignore my doodle jabber. I happen to adore doodling and I might indulge myself in a few random posts where I jabber about it. 

In the meantime - if you did not see the video, here is a link to the video that took two years to produce and then the video where he gives a tour of the house and explains a few things about the project. It is literally - and entire house - doodled as you see in this photo.

LINK to the video of the house

LINK to Mr Doodle's tour of the house


Shout out to our red-haired friends - I think his red hair is a big plus to the whole concept. Black and white with just a touch of red is a classic color combination. I can't imagine a brown or blonde hair working as well as his red hair - unless it was one of the intensely alternative colors that are available through chemicals. Shocking pink would be fun. Even the way his beard contributes to the *encircling of* his features seems to contribute something. Black hair or a bald head might have been OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment