Friday, December 31, 2021

Which was worse 2020 or 2021? + CathyO's vintage mail

 Here are some words from Kathleen Norris:

Life is easier than you think: all that is necessary is to accept the impossible, do without the indispensable, and bear the intolerable.

Fiona Dempster posted that quote back in September. She started her Thursday Thoughts in 2010, the same year I started PTE. The quote came from page 18 of 106 pages in her *quote folder.* I think Fiona is way more organized than I am. She used this quote right after NZ had a 5.8 earthquake - on top of everything else that's been going on. 

My litmus test on any given day is this: If there were no trips to the ER (or covid scares) and the plumbing, heating, electricity, appliances, internet connection are all working, didn't have to call a tow truck - then there is nothing to complain about.

I am not expecting 2022 to be better at all. Hopefully, that does not sound dismal. Since we do not get any previews of the future - let's just pretend like we're ready to face anything and everything. Heaven knows I've had a whole year of watching other people cope with stuff that I would not have traded for my own brush with whatever that was I brushed with.

Happy New Year.

***

The next envelope in my disorganized folder of Oct-Nov-Dec envelopes is this super fun card and envelope from CathyO. It's an idea that would work for any season or holiday - with a little tweaking of the image. Wonderful lettering. It looks like a font, but it is hand lettered. I have a ton of goofy vintage photos. Maybe I will appropriate the idea and use it for my valentines and other mailings.

Happy New Year's Eve.





3 comments:

  1. Love the quote! I definitely found 2021 more of a slog than 2020 - perhaps because I thought it wouldn't be. I'm looking forward to giving 2021 the boot, and feeling optimistic about 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love the quote. 2020 was worse for me because I lost my last sister and learned that our dad wasn't my biological father and lost a dear, dear friend. 2021 was sad, too, because I lost two sisters-in-law (one to complications of COVID), and two friends lost their spouses. Also, trying to get our roof replaced was a stressful nightmare (are there any other kinds?) and nearly impossible to do. Contractors said bec of COVID they had staffing issues, couldn't get wood, or were booked until mid-2022. Finally settled on the middle-priced one but not sure it was the right decision (still picking up nails and other debris). SIGH. So, I am hoping for a brighter, less stressful 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. It sounds like you've been a difficult journey. Hopefully things will settle down. Hang in there.

      Delete