Monday, February 20, 2023

Jan mail from Stella - More from the Electric Pen guy

 


I was wildly excited to get this in the mail. It is from Stella, Smash's granddaughter. It's been 8 or 9 years since she sent me an award winning set of envelopes that are highlighted here: LINK to Stella's award winner

I think of Stella from time to time and have wondered where she is and what she's up to. The Charleston SC postmark makes me think that she was on a visit to her grandparents - which reminds me of the very cool envelope that they sent when they were on a trip to London. Happy memories. 

And while the lettering is understated when viewed in a photograph - in real life it is a knock-your-socks-off amount of teeny tiny dotting. I almost thought it might have been done on a computer - but there are a couple dots with very faint smears that verify it's all hand done.

So cool - thanks, Stella.

Or maybe she has an Edison Electric Pen????

***

I wasn't expecting this to be a two day topic - until I went on my search for a good photo of one of the pens. Not only did I find a good photo - I found a comprehensive website run by Bill Burns. Tons of information. Sometimes it's easier to just walk away when there is soooo much information. But before I take off, I click backwards to see whether Bill Burns has only this one passion in life - or perhaps he is into other things.....

You guessed it. Bill covers a lot of territory - under the umbrella of History of Technology. You probably know that I'm talking to the BigHelpfulTechnoBrother. He's a tech guy. But I know there are a few other techie people who read the blog - so here you go:

https://ftldesign.com

There are 30 topics. I didn't click on all of them - but the one named *Springfield* has a map to take you to all the towns in the US named Springfield. You will travel through 35 states. 

My next quest is to find out if there is another name that is used in more than 35 states.

No comments:

Post a Comment