Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Holiday mail from Ruth - common name


This is my holiday mailing from Ruth. The postmark shows that she heeded my advice to mail early and I remember photographing it right after it arrived - because I thought it would be fun to post it at the very beginning of the holiday season. But, I cannot for the life of me find the original photos and I can't find a post on the blog - so - this might be a repeat - but maybe not.

The envelope is lovely - and the cover of the little accordion is beautifully understated - and then TA-DA - 
it unfolds into a very cool layered design. I do not know how many Ruth made - but however much time she put into the project - I applaud her. It was time well spent.

I am hoping to do a version of this using HAPPY BIRTHDAY - although the only nib I have that is that wide is a black super-wide Copic marker and I'm not sure it will be lovely in black. We'll see. I need to allow myself a second color of ink because I have a second dried up Copic - but deciding what color will be a challenge. 

And now, here is a really good tip. When I was searching for this image to see if I had already posted and did a search for *Ruth* I discovered a plethora of fantastic ideas from Ruth. While covid has been brutal in so many ways - this is going to sound a little wacko - the combination of being home bound as well as all the people who started online teaching gave Ruth so many opportunities - that her work has grown by leaps and bounds. I'm so happy that we are pen pals. 




 


***

When I wondered yesterday what the most common name for places in the US is - did anyone say: Washington? There are a lot of different ways to calculate how often a name is used. Springfield is high on the list - but first comes Washington, Franklin, Clinton, Arlington, Centerville, Lebanon, Georgetown and then we get to Springfield. 

The Clinton surprised me. I'm not interested enough to do more research about why Clinton pops up so much - are all of them for DeWitt Clinton of Erie Canal fame? He's never been on a USPS postage stamp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment